Advantages of Home Ownership
Homeownership has many advantages - both financial and personal. But buying a
home is an important decision. Look at the benefits and the differences between
homeownership and renting to better understand if owning a home is right for you.
What are the benefits of homeownership
- Tax savings.
You may earn significant tax savings because you can deduct mortgage interest
and property taxes from your federal income tax and many states' income tax if you
itemize your deductions.
- A more stable monthly housing expense.
Your monthly housing loan or mortgage expense can remain the same for the
life of your mortgage, depending on the type of loan you choose.
You may build equity in your home over the life of your loan, which allows
you to plan for future goals like your child's education or your retirement.
Homeownership is not right for everyone. It may not be the right time in your life
or you may not like the commitment associated with owning a home. Here are some
differences between renting and homeownership:
- Renters are typically free from maintenance obligations such as repairs or lawn care.
- Homeowners often have more freedom in decorating, landscaping, etc.
- Renters can move more easily and more quickly than homeowners and there are higher
costs associated with buying and selling a home.
- Homeowners have a financial investment and may build equity in their home.